A Heavenly Father Who Loves You


Often in this walk of “single-parenthood“ you stop and remember what got you here.  Sometimes it’s pure memories that flood our thoughts all of a sudden, or sometimes it’s almost regret for not trying harder.  For instance, tonight my son was able to have dinner with his dad after a week of not seeing him, which is a far cry from before when his dad would go months on end without spending time with him, but nevertheless a week seems like a long time to a child who wants their parent around.  When his dad brought him home there were tears.  Tears that reminded me of the tears I cried when I finally had my husband back just to have him leave again.  I remember those tears.  They were not always tears of sorrow but also tears of frustration.  Frustration that I wanted so badly to put into words but just couldn’t find the right way to say how I felt.   Honestly, watching my son’s tears made me angry but all the while, remembering that frustration.  The feelings flooded back and I just held my son as his dad said goodbye once again.  What a terrible feeling for my child to endure.  I can’t emphasize to him enough that I understand his pain and why he cries.  I can’t tell him that once upon a time I cried the exact same way for this man that he now calls “dad”.  I too wanted him to live with me and take care of me forever.  I too wanted him to hold me when life was tough and when he seemed to be the only person who would understand.  I understand, son.  I understand.
It took many sleepless nights and many growing pains for me to begin to heal from the feelings of abandonment and fortunately as an adult it happened a lot easier than it does of a child.  I vow every day to remember the pain my son is enduring NOW and make sure that I overflow the message of a heavenly father who loves him and who is greater than any earthly father could be.  
Prayer:  Thank you Jesus for giving us our children.  Thank you for creating a home for them that is secure in reliance on You.  You are the healer of hearts and I lift up all of the single-parent homes to your will and glory.  Heal and protect us from hurts and frustrations so that we may continue to grow in You.  Amen.

6 comments:

  1. This made me cry! I so know the feeling, however I've never thought of things exactly how you put them. I never thought of my boys' pain being the same as mine but it is. Thank you for writing this and helping me to see the situation in a new light! Now I think I can help to comfort them more than I could before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Vicki and I'm so glad you walked away from this with the feeling of encouragement. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  2. Thanking you meg for perspective...endurance and walking by faith allows me to struggle with my sons emotions over his father.. so true his heavenly father loves him and protects him..comfort through the pain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I'm so glad you have that endurance!

      Delete
  3. This was a terrific list thanks Meg. I liked all the ideas and your right time flies by. Who hasn't heard the parent resent the fact they ignored their children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hear that all too often don't we? Thanks for reading and for commenting!

      Delete