No Presents on Father's Day

This Father's Day I didn't receive any presents.  No pats on the back.  No "thank you". No card that says how much I'm cared for.  You know why?  I'm not a Dad. 

I'm sure to stir up some controversy with this because I often see posts on social media or hear comments of how a single parent has to play both the mother and father role and therefore should be recognized on both holidays.   I believe however, that there is a reason that we have Mother's Day and Father's Day as two separate holidays in two separate months.  They are two completely separate roles.  Just because there is not a father in the picture does not automatically make the holiday default to me as someone who is filling both shoes. 

Sure, single parents may carry 100% of the emotional, financial and household burdens but the role of Mother was created by God to be filled by a woman.  The role of Father can only be filled with a man.  There are specific qualities that reside in each of the sexes to be able to fulfill their role as intended.  Although I may do things that one could claim as the father's role, I perform these tasks the way a woman would and not a man.  There are things in life and about my son that I will not be able to teach him. There is a necessity for a man to teach a boy how to grow into a man. 

Moms, hear me out. I celebrate you and the tremendous responsibility you hold each and every day. Just be very careful about how you position yourselves on the topic of being both a mother and a father. There is nothing in the Bible that supports that stance.


These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 
"You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your 
house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up."
Deuteronomy 6:6-7











1 comment:

  1. Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting
    anyplace, when i read this piece of writing i thought i could also create comment due to this sensible piece
    of writing.

    ReplyDelete