Psalm 91

When my son was born, I remember seeing and feeling the world in an entirely different way.  I suddenly saw all of the potential dangers at a magnified level. I understood how little it would take to destroy my beautiful son emotionally, physically or mentally. I stepped into the role of protector and did my very best to lessen the possibility of any hurt entering his life.



The truth is that hurt will enter everyone's life.  If we look back at what shaped us as adults, we will likely go to two very different scenarios: the times where we felt love and the times where we felt hurt. The times that stand out are usually extreme and those are the reasons we believe how we believe and we react how we react.

My son, like many of your children, has been through quite a journey because of my divorce. He feels all the same feelings we feel as adults but doesn't have the mental growth to deal with those feelings.  When he is feeling hurt for one reason or another because of a burden that was not his to bear, I feel helpless. I cannot protect him.  When the protection of his emotions and well being feels one-sided, I have no other option but turn to the Lord. An option that should be my first instinct but honestly usually isn't.

This is much easier said than done. Just the other night, I was in this place. I cried and pleaded with the Lord to protect my son. I sat with my husband and prayed over my son's journey and that God, who loves my son more than I do, would keep his promise of protection found in Psalm 91. 

I used to read this over my son each night at bedtime when he was little, but now more than ever do these verses drive my comfort.  God knows how to heal, save and protect. The hardest part about being a parent is watching your children hurt. How much more does God feel about the very things that hurt us? I may not always be able to protect my son from hurt or disappointment and some of the things he does and will endure does not make sense to me, but God can protect his heart.  I find rest in that.

My hope in transparency is that you, too, will find solace in these verses. Pray them over your children and know that God cares for them.

________________________________

Psalm 91

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment