Bless the Lord, Oh my soul!

Do you remember where you were on September 11, 2001? Were you sitting at home watching television? Were you at work agonizing over the tragedy along with your co-workers? Did you fear for people who were in harms way or for those who had already been killed? Maybe you even knew someone who was affected and maybe you, yourself were directly affected as a result of the terrible events that unfolded that morning across the United States.  Today seems like the perfect day to write about using every breath and ounce of my being to sing praises to the Lord for all he has done and will continue to do!

I distinctly remember what I was doing on that otherwise sunny and beautiful morning.  I had just sat down with my cup of hot tea to prepare for the day at the office and my then, husband had just left for work.  I never usually turn on the news, but for some reason this day I was inclined to waste the last few moments of my morning watching the television before heading to work. I tuned in just in time to see the second plane hitting the south tower of the World Trade Center.

As many of you can relate, utter shock, horror and disbelief came at me all at once.  Not understanding the meaning of anything I was seeing, my first instinct was to cry. Cry for those affected and cry in fear of how this would affect my world as I knew it.  My first instinct was not prayer, peace or turning to the Lord in any fashion whatsoever.  Fear, worry and a feeling of being unsafe in a once seemingly safe world took over me. Eventually, like many, I did turn to God and prayer mostly asking why and what would be next for our nation.  As the hype of prayer and turning to God faded around our country, I began to realize how easily the nation will turn to a God that it regularly shuns when faced with fear, worry and lack of safety. It felt to many like no other option.

The reaction of that day the weeks following are a good example to me of how I am NOT supposed to be living. I am not supposed to turn to fear or worry but am to turn to God. I am to teach my son through my actions that despite the world crumbling around us, whether literally or metaphorically, that God is the answer and that He is where we find our refuge. May we never forget that our ultimate peace is found in Him.

2 comments:

  1. I love this article. It is good to go back and reflect on these events. I believe that we should never allow ourselves to forget history. It helps us to focus more on the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the fresh perspective you did on the issue. I will be back soon to check up on new posts! Thank you!
    Finola Hughes

    ReplyDelete